Sunday 22 January 2012

My Big Road Trip: Umzumbe to Coffee Bay


Umzumbe to Coffee Bay.....

I spent the first night of my whirlwind Durban to Cape Town trip at a lovely backpackers called Mantis & Moon backpackers.  The rooms are located in and amoungst the trees, some of them even in tree houses so it has a lovely magical feel to it.  I was a little creeped out by some of the bugs but none-the-less was pretty excited about having the experience of staying here.  I headed to the bar and got myself a nice cocktail to get started with.

The next morning I set my alarm for bright and early to catch the BazBus that would take us on the 6 hour journey to Coffee Bay.  The drive was really scenic and we had a very funny and friendly driver, John.   Shortly after out lunch stop, we passed the border between Kwazulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape provinces.  It was interesting how the scenery changed almost immediately from tropical trees to hundreds of little rondawel huts.  The BazBus then dropped us in Umtata where we waited for the shuttle to Coffee Bay.  The road from Umtata to Coffee Bay its rather wonky, but so scenic!!

Once we got to Coffee Bay we were immediately greeted by a very friendly member of staff who showed us around the place and then gave us a welcome drink.  We were told about a full moon party which would be happening that night and a beach day the next day so it was obvious that they are always organizing fun things for guests to do.  We headed to our room to chill a bit and settle in before re-joining the group for the Full Moon Party.  We were taken to the top of a hill which had the most breathtaking views.  Here we were given free mussels and vodka-sprites.

The next morning I woke up very early as I was very hot!  I went to the outdoor communal area to find that Coffee Shack had an awesome breakfast menu.  So 2 fried eggs, some bacon, and baked beans later, I was very full and ready to start the big hike to Hole-in-the-Wall!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for taking the time to read about my travels :) Please leave a comment with your thoughts.